Saturday, 3 April 2010

I'm atheist, but it's okay because I'm not contagious!

So it's been A week on facebook and people who are godless and don't follow a religion have been asked to take part by changing their profile pictures to the dreaded scarlet A to help promote the fact that you don't have to be religious to be a good, moral person and to have a reason to live. It's a good message because it's true - you really don't need to worship and invisible being whose existence relies heavily on proof such as a book written by biased men, and some cherry picked personal anecdotes.

I felt it was important to make the statement that I am atheist because although I've never been openly atheist and boisterous with it; I've come to realise over the last year exactly what harm religion does. It's pretty crappy to be honest with you; and I've also learnt how being openly atheist can cause big problems for some people - to the point that they don't want to admit they don't believe in god because of fear from what will happen if they do. Isn't that bad?

I've never had that problem because the people around me have sort of always known that I believe what I do because of the proof I have to hand and that if they don't agree with me well good for them but it's not going to change my mind unless they show me some proof that stands up to scrutiny.

I made the video below to share on youtube because everything I put on there gets more views that anything I put on here; and I want people to know that it's alright for people to be athest. It doesn't make you a bad person to be atheist and that we have one head just like other people. In it I describe how I became atheist and what it means to me. Also, in the video I manage to stop myself going off on a rant at about 2:20 which is sort of amazing, I actually didn't rant.

It's okay to be different from the crowd, you know, it doesn't matter what other people think of you. I've lost friends over my beliefs and that's fine because if those people couldn't accept me for who I am then I don't particularly want them in my life anyway.

Atheists are not bad people, just like Christians are not bad people, or Jewish people. To judge a whole section of society because of a few is stupid. It's like using the nasty folk of Westboro baptist church as an example for their religion, it just doesn't work because it just isn't true.

I'm atheist but it's okay because I'm not contagious because atheism isn't a disease, it isn't a bad thing and it doesn't define who I am and it shouldn't be viewed as such. Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment