Saturday, 6 February 2010

I've gone two weeks without eating corpses!

It's been two weeks since I decided to stop eating meat. I didn't know if I'd be able to make it for one week, let alone two and yet here I am! Many people have asked why I decided to become a vegetarian; was it for ethical reasons? health? wealth? enviromental reasons?

The reason is quite a simple one, see, I've worked in retail for seven years and a month or so ago I became aware of just how much meat was in the store I work in. There are just six aisles in the supermarket I work for and yet as I stood in the store one day I realised there were hundreds of dead animals around me in different forms. It made me feel sick. Especially as I see the amount of products that are thrown away because they go out of date or get damaged.
I realised what a waste it was, a waste of life and such needless cruelty and violence that went into providing the meat that could end up just being thrown away. After that I found it difficult to eat the meat on my plate and suddenly those bacon sandwiches weren't so appealing. I started to look at the food that I consumed on a regular basis and I was shocked to find that things such as my favourite chocolate contained Rennet which is made by extracting enzymes from the stomachs of young calves. Yikes.

I began looking into how giving up meat would effect me and the world around me. I read lots of literature about how becoming a vegetarian can have benefits on the environment and that seemed like a rather good reason alone, let alone the ethical reasons that had promoted me to make the decision in the first place.

I've had many people tell me that I'm a hypocrite for becoming a vegetarian, or that it wont make a difference. In fact, an old school friend of mine Andrew sent me 'defencive omnivore bingo' when I first announced I was becoming vegetarian and this is the progress so far (click for full size!):


I thought, as a good way to mark the two week stage I would make a list of the best bits about becoming a vegetarian, as a way to re-inspire myself should my brother taunt me with chocolate I can't have - or bacon sandwiches. So here goes.

10 good things about starting out as a vegetarian

1 - Over the last two weeks as I've given up meat and many animal by-products I've read about just how much of a difference I am actually making, even though it seems that one person wont make much of a difference.

2 - I have discovered some amazing food that I've never tried before. An example would be a leek and mushroom crumble that I tried which was just lush!

3 - There are hardly any calories in vegetables!

4 - Eating as a vegetarian has made me more aware of the impact I have on the environment around me.

5 - I've been able to surprise my family by offering them pieces of the food I have which they've liked.

6 - My family, as a whole, has started to eat a much healthier diet (even though they still eat meat.)

7 - I've chosen to be moral about what I eat because I care, not because the bible told me to, and it makes me feel like a good person. The god in the bible doesn't care much about suffering. I do.

8 - I haven't tried to force anyone I know to give up meat, but by becoming vegetarian I've made them consider it.

9 - Becoming vegetarian has brought me closer to some of my friends and family who are also vegetarian and that can only be a good thing.

10 - I don't feel guilty anymore, because I know a brussel sprout or a carrot doesn't have a nervous system and doesn't go through suffering to end up on my plate.

I also recently discovered this video from the Richard Dawkins.net youtube account in which Richard Dawkins talks to Peter Singer. It really helped me to think about the stance I have taken on what I do and do not eat. It's a long video but there are some absolutely amazing points make in it.

5 comments:

  1. Alright, I would be guilty of coming out straight away with the first two on your defensive omnivore bingo :-)

    The first one because I just think it's a funny phrase, especially since I'm not religious (although you can put an evolutionary slant on it... "if we're not meant to eat animals why did they evolve to be so tasty" or "surely meat disproves evolution?")

    The second because I do actually like meat. I can't help it.

    However, we have as a family reduced how much meat we eat recently. Partly for health reasons and partly for financial, as you save so much money. For example, the mushroom strogonoff I made last night cost about £1.40 per portion, a meat dish would have been easily over £3 per head.

    I will freely admit that I couldn't go the whole way, so I respect you for the fact you can.

    Please don't become a vegan though, because then I would have to call you nutty. We have one at work and there is literally nothing he can eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After about twenty years of vegetarianism, the only ones I still hear are:

    "Do you eat fish?"

    and

    "Where do you get your protein?"

    ...so I have no hope of completing the defensive omnivore bingo game during my lifetime. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it quite funny when people say that animals are meant to be eaten because they're made of meat.
    It's as though they have seperated the human species from every other species on the planet, as though we're not animals and thus take pride of place on this planet.

    We weren't always at the top of the food chain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's not even an argument as such. More something that someone says when they haven't got any other argument/debate point

    ReplyDelete
  5. House! Bingo!

    I've encountered the whole caboodle of those since going vegan.

    ReplyDelete