Friday, 12 February 2010

Darwin day

I am godless and I believe in evolution but this does not mean that I have no sense of greatfulness or wonder. Every night I lay in bed and look up through the sky light windows in my ceiling and I look at the stars and I know that I am linked to them - not through an invisible magician who made the entire universe appear from nothing - but because the stars and I all came about through a series of random events. The unpredictable nature of the universe, and indeed, the planet we live on is what makes it so beautiful in my eyes.

Today is Darwin day, the birthday anniversary of evolutionary biologist Charles Darwin. This year marks the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth. I think it's incredibly important to recognise the world as it is rather than taking the volatile beauty around us and turning it into the product of a fairy tale creature that is worshipped. Evolution rocks, quite frankly, it's fascinating because it makes sense. Happy Darwin Day my homo sapien friends.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry Hayley, I have to call bullshit on this argument.

    This is Britain. There's no way in hell you can look up the stars every night.

    With love and kisses,

    Rob
    (aka dead man walking)

    p.s. Happy Darwin Day! I couldn't get this quote out of my head today:

    "The ash of stellar alchemy was now emerging into consciousness. At an ever-accelerating pace, it invented writing, cities, art and science, and sent spaceships to the planets and the stars. These are some of the things that hydrogen atoms do, given fifteen billion years of cosmic evolution."
    -Carl Sagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are star stuff, we were all made in supernova, how cool is that? who needs god?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, when people tell me (as they have on several occasions) that my world view is extremely negative because I don't believe in an afterlife, I point out that everything that makes up me comes from the stars and will one day return to the stars.

    That, to me, is pretty damn mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete