Saturday, 16 January 2010

A summary

I felt compelled to blog today after I had a sort out in my bedroom and cleared out everything I have been hoarding that I don't need.
As I was sorting through things I came across a big bundle of photographs that I'd placed in the back of a box and had forgotten about and as I looked through them I realised they were all of me - from when I was born up until now. My whole life in photos. I've put them in an album now but it inspired me to sit down and write out who I am. See, the photos made me reflect just how far I have come from when I was a child in one of the photos. This is what I wrote in a scrap piece of paper I had to hand. I'll probably end up loosing it so I thought I'd put it on here. It's the first time I've really summarised everything I am and it made me feel happy, so that can only be good, right?



I am just a person who has faced many challenges - like everyone else. However, they are MY challenges and have shaped me into me. I've lost those I love and I've gained many friends. I have seen things that have taken my breath away, I've been to places that some people don't even know exist while other people call them home. I've been moved to tears by the gestures of strangers, I've felt the pain that others have felt and I've shared it to relieve their burdens.
I am my mother, I am my father, and I am everybody that came before them. I am free, I am wise, I am young, I am naive, I sometimes feel frightened and confused, I feel passionate about a lot of things - chocolate, laughter, kids not growing up too fast, human rights, simple happiness, free speech, equality, and warm, crispy bread rolls with lush creamy tomato soup.


I ask questions - people hate me for it, others admire me for it. I smile at strangers, I love it when they smile back! I like silence, I day dream when I shouldn't, I rise to challenges and make the most of a bad thing, I like to watch people as they wander around me, I like the colours of the natural world - stop and look around you, it's stunning. I like bad jokes that make you giggle anyway, I like pulling goofy faces, I like smiling at babies who smile back - especially when nobody else knows, I like talking to people on the bus or train, or in the doctors waiting room or in the street - people I don't know, people I won't see again, about insignificant things that just for a moment make them smile.
The NHS saved my life - twice. I still hate going to the dentists though, I like chocolate milkshake the best and never care how much fat is in food or if it is or isn't good for me. If it's tasty, it's good for me - simple as that. I like the rain, especially when I can hear it falling on rivers, I enjoy feeding the ducks, geese and swans that live locally and ensuring they all get a share of the bread. I enjoy going for long walks without a destination in mind, I like being angry about the injustices in the world that inspire me to stand up and do something about it, I like rooting for lifes underdogs and giving people a chance, I like the benefit of doubt, I like working something out that I didn't understand, I like quirky people, I like the universe and how big it is and the fact that I'll never see it all. I love trying something new and sticking to what I know, I love all the people around me who inspire me to be a better person, and most of all I like that no matter what has happened in the past I am still here and I am happy. Everything will be okay because no matter what life throws at me life goes on...

...& I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment